Friday, January 20, 2017

PQ Season 8 Carolina Lily

Another week of Project Quilting! 

This week's challenge was The Carolina Lily. After a quick internet search I found out 2 things. 


1.The Carolina Lily is an absolutely gorgeous flower


The state Flower of North Carolina
It grows wild throughout the state



2. It is a very traditional quilt block and can be seen in many antique quilts





I hesitated entering this week's challenge as we were busy getting ready to leave on a trip to France, but thought why not? I'll just do a small project. Maybe I should add  one more thing I learned doing this project:

All projects take longer than I expect! 

Here it is midnight, I'm leaving for France in the AM, and I just finished binding my project and am writing this blog. AND I HAVENT PACKED YET, ha! Priorities!
                                         This is definitely my mantra this week, just ask my hubby



So when thinking about this project I was just amazed at the colors in the Carolina Lily and that is how I started. 



 Decided to go semi traditional with vibrant colors. Kaffe Fassett is perfect fabric!
So I did some piecing. And YUCK "Y" Seams!
 Ok, so I'm not very experienced as a quilter, and Y seams have always scared me. I've done them once before in a class project.... Guess that is the whole point of PQ challenge, to try new things/techniques!




  


For  the layout I  decided on 8 Lily blocks


I made bias tape strips for the vines using my fancy clover 1/2 inch bias tool
And applique leaves
Love this technique I learned from Lori Holt. I use interfacing and turn the shapes

Added the vines and leaves by applique



And yes I am done!!
It is 43 by 21 inches.


Nice to be done! Now off to France. 
Thanks again to Kim and Trisha for making Project Quilting possible! Hope to see you in 2 weeks! 

Enjoy!  💗 Renie


5 comments:

  1. wow. it certainly doesn't look like a little project! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you did - and that purple with the orange and green is STELLAR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I really like the shape too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! And the story and how PQ was a priority! Have a great trip to France!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! : )