Saturday, February 18, 2017

Bright Future!

Project Quilting Season Eight - The Brighter The Better!


This week's challenge was fun. I went through all my stash and picked out every piece of fabric that was colorful. It was great to be able to use my stash for once. I haven't made many quilts that have extremely bright colors. I do love the bright colors, but typically go for more traditional looking quilts often using subdued colors. So this was a chance to branch out and use all those beautiful ,colorful fabrics I had been collecting,

Stack of fabrics I pulled from my stash!


I  decided that I'd do a baby quilt as my daughter is expecting in July. This will be my first grandchild and I am so excited. 😍😍 I didn't really need an excuse to get going making baby things!


I cut 4.5 inch squares of  about 60 pieces of fabric and white squares to make half square triangles.

    
 C

                                                                        Chain Piecing the half square triangles


After lots and lots of ironing, I laid out my triangle to form a pattern. 






  After sewing the squares together, I decided it needed something else to finish it and brighten it up even further. I had never made prairie points and thought these would be a perfect addition. I had some half square triangles leftover I used and some solid squares. I alternated the white portion of the triangles to the back for added interest.After reviewing several YouTube videos  (YouTube is the best!!) I found a video put by Fons and Porter. It demonstrated  a great method on how to attach the prairie points in a binding. Thanks Fons and Porter!



I put the quilt together and quilted it adding an embroidered label to back, I have been practicing my quilting of the layers and this quilt gave an opportunity to try some different techniques. 

Label




Back of the quilt



This is my finished project. "Bright Future" 40x40 inches




Thanks again to Kim and Trish for making Project Quilting possible!

Till next time....  Renie




3 comments:

  1. What a great back story. Your grandchild will love this little quilt. It's so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! I think the prairie points are the perfect border ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome baby quilt - great way to use the challenge! Congratulations on the impending gramma-hood!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! : )