Saturday, March 19, 2016

Indigo Bag– A Monkey Wrench Surrounded By Geese. Project Quilting Challenge 6, Season 7

This week’s challenge was to make something that would include the block Monkey Wrench and a Flying Geese Block. I was unsure of what a Monkey Wrench block was. As I looked it up on google, I realized it was one of my favorite blocks which also goes under the name Churn Dash. I first made this block several years ago as I took one of first quilting classes and we were doing a sampler quilt. I’m not sure why, but something about this block, the traditional look, the shape, the simplicity, who knows, but it just appeals to me.  This block goes by many names and was thought to have originated between 1800- 1840. other names include Broken Plate, Double Monkey Wrench, Double T,  Hole in the Barn Door, Indian Hammer, Joan's Doll Quilt,  Love Knot, Old Mill Design,  Picture Frame, Puss in the Corner, Quail's Nest, Sherman's March and Wrench.
    I decided to do a tote as my challenge. I started off making a simple bag, but the project grew and grew in size and in detail.Rolling on the floor laughing    I ended up with a 17 inch by 17 inch tote, with bindings on the outside seams and a fabric padded , shaped handle with lots of detailed quilting. I'm not sure what goes on with me and these challenges. The ideas start flowing and can't stop. As I drive to and from work, as I'm doing anything that allows me free time to think, I just keep thinking of new ideas that I can add to my weekly challenge. I usually stay up late the night before my challenge is due, one night until 5AM)  trying to complete my challenge due to my constant flowing of ideas!

bag1 My fabrics, Low Country Indigo by Windham Fabrics.
The fabric in the pictures looks black, but it is actually a deep dark Indigo blue.  After living in Japan for 2 years, I fell in love with Indigo dyed fabrics as they were everywhere  and oh so beautiful!

bag2  My Monkey wrench block(Churn Dash)
bag3Adding geese to edges
bag4Front block of bag done                                  bag5 Sandwiched and machine quilted using various designs
bag6Quilted back of bag, sandwiched and completed


bag7Pieces for front, back, 2 sides and bottom quilted and ready to assemble


As I began to put my tote together  I decided it needed something. (Ha, more ideas!) I thought adding a little red fabric would give it a POP   Open-mouthed smile


bag8Bag beginning to be sewn together. I decided to sew it from outside, ( Sewn with wrong sides together) and to put outside bindings on seams for a clean finish. No exposed frayed seams at all in this bag.When that goes together it is gives the bag a stiffer more completed appearance on the outside. And the bag can stand up!!


bag9Done!!!!! Front of tote Remember it is dark, dark blue, not black

bag10Back of bag
bag11Side of the bag.


baginside    Inside of bag.
3 pockets on both sides to hold lots of goodies!



Hope you enjoyed my pics! Thanks again Kim at Project Quilting for all your hard work putting this challenge together!! Till next time! Irene xo

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic tote bag and I love how you made it work for the challenge! I'm sure that you're going to get tons of compliments on it!! Thanks for joining in on the PQ Fun ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! : )