Sunday, March 13, 2016

Ode to My Quilting Mother

    I guess you can say my quilting adventures began on April 25, 2011. That is the day my Mom died. 
    My Mother was an avid quilter. She sewed ever since I can remember, making matching dresses for my 2 sisters and me, Halloween costumes galore and curtains to fill the windows of all the homes we occupied, as we moved every few years since my Dad was in the military. Her quilting passion began after my siblings and I had left home. She joined her church sewing guild, a separate local quilting guild, and went to every class on quilting available to her in the area. As her love for quilting progressed, she assembled a abundant supply of quilting tools and the exciting sewing machines that went with it. I remember when my dad gave her favorite most treasured possession, a Bernina 1630 Inspiration Update 96. With this machine, she continued to quilt for fundraisers at the church, for new babies, and a special quilt for each grandchild as they graduated from High School. Each and every project so was so special, thought out as to color and design to match the personality of the recipient.
   After my Mom died, my Dad pulled me aside one day. “Your Mom’s sewing machine meant so much to her, would you be interested in it?”  I was taken aback. How could I ever use her prized possession? I would fail, my sewing ability could not honor this machine of my mother’s. These and other crazy thoughts flew through my head. I had sewn a little since I was married:  a few simple costumes and lots of curtains (we also moved in the military). The whole idea of quilting scared me. All those small pieces, all the colors, and all the complicated designs seemed so daunting to me as a basic sewer. 

   My Dad took me to my Mom’s quilt room to help me pack up her machine. Beside it was a pile of fabric readied to begin a quilt for my niece in honor of her high school graduation the following June, but with only one trial block done. Later that week I kept thinking of that fabric just lying there. I went back later, I took that material. I searched for the closest quilt shop and entered a new world.  I scheduled a time for the owner to sit with me and teach me some basics. In a day, Kathy taught me rotary cutting and how blocks go together. I picked a simple pattern, a split rail fence, that she assured me I could complete. We would put my Mom’s trial block in the center. I spent many days at that shop. I completed that quilt. My niece was brought to tears as she received this gift from my Mom and me.
   Now I am hooked. Almost 5 years later I have completed over 12 full sized quilts and other smaller projects. Just like Mom, I take every class that is available . I visit any quilt shop I see, and attend every quilt show nearby. I even have gotten my neighbor to start quilting. We now get together most Friday nights to sew. Recently my friend Pam expressed an interest in quilting. I showed her a few things and less than 4 months later she has whipped out 2 bed sized quilts that were absolutely amazing!!! It is so much fun to have friends to quilt with!
    I can’t help but think of my Mom as I get her trusty Bernina sewing. Thank you for such a great gift Mom!
 
first quiltfirst quilt2
My first quilt. I even got to long arm it on an old free motion machine at the local quilt shop!

disappearing hourglass- MSQC
A recent quilt of mine.  Design MSQC- Disappearing hourglass.

my 50th bday quilt from my Mom
This is one of my Mom’s quilts as a gift to me on my 50th birthday. A triple Irish Chain. Can’t ever imagine working with those postage stamp sized pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! : )