Sunday, March 6, 2016

Through The Eyes of A Child-Project Quilting Season 7



This will be a quick blog as I am less than 30 minutes from the deadline for Project Quilting!!! ( I was able to add my process below today 3-7-2016)

I loved this week's challenge, "Through the Eyes of a Child"…. But my ideas wouldn’t stop and my details ended up taking me a VERY long time! But ta-da….I”m done!!!
When I think of a child’s world, I can only imagine what they are visualizing is what they portray as they color and draw. These are those great pictures they are so proud of when they bring them home from school. I remember rainbows, bright colors, always a sun and animals such as birds, our dog, our cat and butterflies. I would place these treasured pictures on my refrigerator for all to see! In my portrayal of a child's drawing, I added as much as I could with my time constraint with LOTS of COLOR!  Get your sunglasses!!!And here it is.
eyes
It is 47 inches x38 and a nice baby blanket size! Hope it won't keep the baby up with all those colors! Ha

Some close ups
eyes2 My wonky smoking house
eyes3 The MUST rainbow and dog chasing a cat up a tree
eyes4 And here is MR Sun, a butterfly and of course a colorful flower

My Process:


So like many quilters, I have alot of stash. I was determined to try to use my stash for this project, and was fairly successful. I confess I did have to buy a fat quarter of the green zizzag as I didn't have enough...
Lots of colorful pieces, many left from my Thread Challenge!


I began with my house, was attempting a whimsy feel, so added a wonky house. To tell the truth, I wasn't so happy with my house and almost scrapped it several times, but ended up adding the bird a scalloped front and smoke which helped sorta get closer to that feel. If I could do it again, I'd stick with a plain house and make it whimsy with colors and cute details.

I choose a simple snowball block for the trees. I designed some applique animals, bird, cat, scottie dog after searching the internet for ideas,


I had to add a rainbow, seriously this was not as easy as I thought! I tried several ways, but ended up using a round rotary cutter, doing increasing sized circles and pasting together and appliqueing.

The sun was made through variation of a Dresdan block.

I added all these details and included some others, a butterfly and colorful appliqued flower. I wanted to add a few other details, additional flowers, another bird in my second tree. But I ran out of time!
After doing my center "drawing", I added borders and completed my sandwich with batting and a nice flannel back. Then quilted and quilted..... 



eyes5 And here is my trusty Bernina which allows me to do some machine quilting… I got her for a birthday gift in December. I'm still learning!

Thanks to Kim Lapacek at Project Quilting for her challenges!! I'm learning so much by trying new techniques.
 Till next time! Irene xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! : )